May 26, 2009

the tailor's shuriken


Sometimes it's a hassle to have to uncoil the tape measure, line it up against the fabric, and count out 13/32 to mark a spot. Especially if you have to do it multiple times, say for measuring the distance between bone casings or marking how long embroidery stitches must be. A tailor's shuriken is the weapon of choice for these situations. Just rotate the disc to the desired measurement and hold it to the fabric. Easy peasy.


I can not vouch for the accuracy of this as a throwing star, only as a measuring device. I also can not vouch for the accuracy of the term "tailor's shuriken." There could be another name for this tool. I wouldn't use it though. 

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'd stick with "Tailor's Shuriken". I think it may actually be a "Seam Gauge" - but that's not nearly as interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get this? I must have one, Ebay searches are failures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it in an industrial sewing supply store in LA. I'm going to track the place down the next time I'm in the area and I'll post the name and location so you can find one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to know the proper term for this device, not because 'tailor's shuriken' isn't awesome (it is!) but because I must buy one these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so have to have one of these! You don't happen to know any suppliers in Europe, I suppose :/ I'd do anything for you if you sent me one... and I can do a lot :D Maybe you want to check my blog :P

    All the Best,
    Mademoiselle Chaos

    ReplyDelete
  6. For this item, just go to ebaystores.co.uk/sewingexpert or put these item numbers into the ebay seach engine 110581175046

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it amusing that you call it "the weapon of choice," as shuriken is the proper name for the Japanese Ninja throwing star.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I'm a straight seam sewist with a few curves thrown in, but I could sure use this when I'm quilting. And I'm kind of crazy about sewing tools, so I'll have to look for this. {I found your fun and very interesting blog while searching for 'tailor's ham'! :)

    ReplyDelete