November 9, 2009

detour


I'm going to be on the road for a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd pack a small project to work on without a sewing machine. 


That Ziplock bag contains a ribbon corset-to-be. I'm using the pattern for the 1904 light corset for sport or negligé wear, but this time I'm making it out of ribbon. The side, busk, and lacing, panels will be backed with cotton batiste, but there will be no coutil, or other heavier fabric on this one. Here's a close up of the 1 1/2 inch wide, cotton, petersham ribbon.


I could have chosen just about any color, but I went with the same fuchsia as the 1904 corset so a direct comparison between the two can be made. The plan is to hand sew as much as I can so when I return home I'll be ready to insert the busk and set the grommets. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. I bow to your bravery in tackling that by hand.
    Make sure you've got a well fitting thimble, it saves a lot of finger blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour you have chosen here.. could you please tell me where you bought petersham ribbon from? if you don't mind me asking as i cant find it anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...love this :). i have been trying to make a ribbon corset, thought i could make it with 1 and half inch ribbon (as you have), but i am having heaps of trouble lining the ribbon up as it isn't 2 and quarter inch wide as in the pattern. How did you overcome this? PLEASE im going crazy...
    Thanks heaps Karen

    ReplyDelete