November 4, 2009

corselet fabric and garter grips


I broke down and bought fabric. 


It's a silk and rayon blend brocade. I love the chocolate and black colors, and the pheasant motif is most pleasing. The smooth brocade feels right for the corselet, since I want a slick fabric so a light, 20's flapper's dress will glide over it. I could probably use this fabric on it's own, it's feels heavy enough to do the job of a thin cotton broché, but I think I should back it with a lightweight batiste. Not for strength so much as for cleanliness. It seems wise to have a layer of cotton against the skin instead of the brocade. I don't think I'll fuse them together, just flatline. 

I also have the garter clips and grips.


I ordered these from Lara Corsets ebay shop. Yea, 1 5/8 inch garter grips.

I still have to do one more fitting with the mock-up to fit the gores, but then I can cut into my pretty new fabric!

4 comments:

  1. Those look nice. How heavy is the clasp? (Would it hold up wool socks, or is it just designed for sheer stockings?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are designed for sheer stockings. A wool sock is too thick for the grip to push through the loop. I know, I tried. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great =) Good luck with cutting into that lovely fabric! I always like to reach that stage of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had some luck finding garters at estate sales. I know it sounds a little strange, but original garters from the 50's, in packages, unused!

    ReplyDelete