January 6, 2012

1991 - notching the pattern and adding length


Almost done patterning! Today we'll be cutting out and notching the pattern so we'll need sharp scissors or and x-acto knife, and a pencil. If you are using the Corsets and Crinolines pattern you'll need tape and paper too. First cut out the pieces. If you are using scissors please make sure they are not the same ones you use for cutting fabric. For those new to sewing, paper dulls the blades and makes it impossible to cut your fabric nicely when the time comes. No fun. The notches will be our guides for assembling so they are important. Once the pieces are cut, line two up together and make a mark between the two.


Cut out a small V at the mark on one side.


Do the same on the other, and they should match right up.


The post Edwardian pattern already has notch marks but they may need to be adjusted if you cut through any vertical seams when expanding the pattern, or if there was distortion from enlarging. I've flagged my notch marks for the Corsets and Crinoline 1911 pattern so you can use the placement as a guide for notching your own pattern.


There should be only one way to assemble the pieces because the notches will only connect one way.

If you are using the post Edwardian pattern you're done! The rest of us have one more step to do. We're going to add two inches to the bottom of the pattern. Why? Norah Waugh's pattern is for a very small corset and is shorter than the post Edwardian. Once we expand the pattern the shorter length will make the corset look blocky in comparison, and we don't want blocky. We want long lines. Plus, I want everyone who purchased pre-cut boning to be able to use the same lengths at the center back. The lengthening goes quickly. Tape the first pattern piece to some paper and redraw the bottom edge 2 inches below the original using a ruler.


Extend the vertical lines using the hip curve.


Cut out the new piece. When you are finished the bottom of the pattern should look like this.


This addition should not significantly change the seam line length enough to bother with re-truing the seams. If you align the extended sections next to each other they should match up. We've got our patterns!

If you're just joining the sew along, or running a bit behind, you can catch up this weekend. Next week we'll trace the patterns to muslin, add seam allowance, and sew the mock-ups. If you don't have muslin a plain weave, non-stretch fabric will do. You've seen what I use, usually fabric given to me when friends are thinning their stash. I hate buying muslin.

Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Does it make any difference how tall you are when lengthening the patterns? Where should the bottom edge of the corset be, in relation to, let's say, your hip bones? I have a very long back and I want the corset to come as down as possible, because I'm going to need all the support for my lower back I can get. Should I add some extra length now or after the mock-up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottom edge will come down past your hip bones. I'd add an inch or two to the bottom of the mock-up when you trace the pattern onto muslin, then you can draw in a new bottom edge if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say, I can't believe you used that awesome toile as a.... as a.... TOILE!

    But maybe I'm the only one with a weakness for toile prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love toile! I'll be using another one for this mock-up too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An aside: I would love to see the link you referred to on Flickr about enlarging a pattern using Power Point. It sounds like it could be totally helpful for future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here it is! I'll put a link in a regular post too.

    http://dressdiary.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-enlarge-pattern-using-powerpoint.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sturdy should the muslin be?
    and I am quite short (5 2) will I need to shorten the postedwardian?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe not. The model wearing the corset in the photos was 5'4", so not tall. When you try on the mock-up you can mark a shorter length if you need to. The muslin shouldn't be super flimsy, but it doesn't need to be a heavy canvas either. We only fitting, not cinching the laces and putting it under heavy stress so your average run of the mill muslin should work fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there any particular method to deciding where to put notches in patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Notches are normally made on the waistline, the hip, one at the neckline on the center front, and two together on the center back, and points where a seam meets another piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to ping in for the day, I got through to this point today, so a week of sew-a-long in one evening. I'm pretty sure that I will get the mockup done tomorrow so I should be caught up by next week. (I am away this weekend) :-) I'll post a couple pictures to Flickr of my drafting efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm working through your sewalong now and I'm so glad I'm seeing this lengthening post. I altered my pattern pieces and saw that I needed the length before coming to your blog. Basically, thanks for putting this sewalong together. You don't know the headache you're saving me from.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First thing to do is measure the distance between your waistline and your hipline. If it is more than 4inches: slash you pattern pieces at the waistline, add one inch (for me) on the bottom piece and glue them back together (don't forget to draw your seams again to avoid angles). If you just lenghten your pattern pieces on the bottom edge of your corset, the curve for your hips will sit too high causing horizontal wrinkles. Yep it's back to the drawing board for me too!

    ReplyDelete