January 24, 2012

1911 - fabric prep


How has the last of the patterning been going? Are sew along participants ready to start constructing corsets? Before tracing the pattern to fabric press, press, press, your fabric.


I've probably said it before, but the secret to good sewing is ironing. Patterns trace neater when the fabric is flat, fabric stitches evenly when the pieces are are smooth, and seams lay better when they are pressed. When you start sewing it's easy to think, "what difference can it make? I'll skip that step." It makes a difference. So get those irons ready, they'll be put to use in the next few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. I used to be one of those who skipped the ironing step, but since reading your blog I've come to realize that part of the reason your work looks so incredibly neat is because you iron every. single. thing. For this sew along I've been ironing like a mad woman and I can't believe difference it makes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing is the only time I ever do any ironing, it definatly makes things easier to sew, but my clothes dont know what an iron is.

    ReplyDelete