February 29, 2012

if I were making a 1911 dress


It would be this.

© Metropolitan Museum of Art, accession number WW.523

This illustration was made by Mela Koehler, if you would like to see more of her work click here. I believe the fabric used for the dress was designed by Koloman Moser. Evening gowns are pretty, but the simple lines and bold prints of the Weiner Werkstätte trump lace and beads for me. Is anyone going to be wearing their sew along corset under a simple day dress? With or with out a giant hat like the one shown here?

6 comments:

  1. It would expertly show off the silhouette everyone has worked so hard to create! Methinks I'm going to have to make a few somethings to go with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Weiner Werkstätte fashion prints - the style of their textiles, etc. is so modern, that it's bizarre to see them in conjunction with period dress. Sort of like remembering that people lived in Frank Lloyd Wright's houses in the 1890s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check this outfit!Elegant and sporty! She must have one of those flexible corsets on and I love the bowling shoes of that era, nothing to do with modern clown shoes whe have to put up with! http://pics.livejournal.com/gogm/pic/003kydd5/g750

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thanks for sharing that image. The next time I go le bowling I must wear fur.

      Delete
  4. lovely.
    This is why I love the teens fashions so much.
    I love the combination of 'old fashioned' and modernity.

    ReplyDelete