February 10, 2012

1911 - whoops, forgot to make bias trim


Today's post was supposed to be about shaping the top and bottom edges and applying trim. Since I hadn't finished making bias trim that was impossible. Also, I haven't finished setting grommets. Yikes! I really am sewing along with everyone. While many of you will be pounding grommets this weekend, so will I. So, we'll finish this week with a quick lesson on sewing together bias strips to make a longer length of trim. Sometimes it's just not possible to cut bias strips the required length, additionally, you will waste less fabric if you assemble pieces cut from smaller left over bits than cut a large, diagonal swath through your fabric. Once you learn how to piece bias strips together you can trim your garment with anything you please instead of being bound to what is available prepackaged. The world is yours!

Start by laying the edges of two bias strips together, face to face, with the corners overlapping 1/4 inch.


Sew the pieces together, stitching 1/4 inch from the edge of the fabric.


Press the allowance open.


Trim the allowance to 1/8 inch, trim the corners, and you're done.


I think this aqua is a fresher choice than the red I originally planned on using. What do you think? Aqua? Red? Aqua? Red? Has everyone definitively chosen trim or was it just me who hadn't committed?

15 comments:

  1. I remain uncommitted. Actually, I can't decide at all. I might try making mine with a print, since my coutil is plain. I don't know.

    I vote aqua!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose my bias trim the same day I chose my fabric and it's navy blue. I think I vote red for yours. I'm not a big fan of aqua as a color anyway, even though it would give it a fresher look... It depends on what effect you want it to give!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lordy, I haven't even made my bone casings yet. By the way, people who are making their own bias casings or tape may find this tutorial very useful- it shows you how to make tape out of scraps, so you don't need to cut a big diagonal swathe through your fabric!

    http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/continuous-bias-tape-tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am waaay behind; my last couple of weeks have been full of wrenches. I am still cutting and flat lining my fashion fabric to the coutil. Hopefully, i can catch up in the next couple of days. I am trying to decide to whether to do my bias binding out of the same stripe fabric or to do a contrasting navy silk (if I can find it) soon nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of aqua in general, and I LOVE how the red looks against that fabric, so I'd have to say red, but biases aside, either would be lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the aqua better. It is a more unusual colour combination than black/white/red and seems to work well with the floral pattern on your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. one more vote for aqua - red is nice but looks more off-the-shelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd like a coral;) but of the two, I'd go for aqua. If nothing else the red is stronger and would be harder to wear under things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the red too! I think it looks really amazing with the black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every time I look at this corset growing into a garment I regret not having joined in. If you ever do this again give me an enormours prod! I live the black and white fabric - but couldn't possibly choose between aqua and red.
    Can't wait to see the finished article!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My vote is for the aqua. Black, white and red are quite frequently put together, the aqua is more - unexpected!

    ReplyDelete