February 14, 2012

1911 - inserting boning and disaster averted


Look at this.


A pin! Sewn into the corset! Argh! I discovered it when the 1/2 inch bone came to an abrupt halt as I inserted it in the channel. Fortunately I was able to wiggle it free and inch it up the channel. Whew. Learn a lesson from me and be on the look out for rogue pins.

Time to insert boning. Here are mine ready to be slipped in place.


For the Corsets and Crinolines pattern, working from the busk to the lacing, you'll insert two 1/4 inch wide, 9 inch long bones in the first casing. Two 1/4 inch wide, 9 inch long bones also go in the second casing. One 1/2 inch wide, 10 inch long bone goes into the third casing. The 1/4 wide, 16 1/2 inch long bones will go into the fourth casing and on either side of the eyelets.

If you are working with the post Edwardian pattern you'll insert two 1/4 inch wide, 9 inch long bones in the first, second, and third casings. Then one 1/2 inch wide, 10 inch long bone goes into the fourth casing. The 1/4 inch wide, 16 1/2 inch long bones will go into the fifth casing and on either side of the eyelets.

Tomorrow we finish the top edge. Is anyone else excited? The corsets are almost finished!

9 comments:

  1. Should we sew each casing shut where the boning ends so it doesn't slip farther down than it should? Or did I miss that step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't missed anything. The boing in the original post Edwardian did not have any stitching to keep it from sliding south in the channels, and those bones stayed put. I didn't add anything to the version I made and those bones stayed in place too. You can add flossing if you like, I'll be covering that in a post next week, but it's optional. If you are concerned you can always just sew horizontally across the bottom of the channels.

      Delete
    2. I think I'll have to do that, as my boning channels ended up being a bit wider than the bones themselves. This corset is on a serious downhill slide form me... :(

      Delete
    3. Stick with it, and just keep sewing. One of the best things about making corsets is they can be hidden under a dress the learning curve is hidden!

      Delete
  2. he he, I once found a pin stuck inside a long coat I made on about the sixth time I wore it, I had to part the fibers to get it out and rub them back together to close the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pin made me giggle. If you can accept the idea that making a girl somewhere in a different country giggle is a good thing, I think that pin was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My longest bones are about 10cm shorter than center back edge. Is it okay? I don't think they can be any longer if I want to sit while wearing the corset. But can I still have lacing all the way down to the bottom edge even when there's no boning to support it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep the lacing to the bottom edges, if you don't it will just flap around and then what's the point of having the length? The lacing has a tendency to pull in when there are no bones at the bottom to support it, so just be aware of that and try to keep the gap as even as possible.

      Delete