March 2, 2012

savoye corset



I was going to post the flossing on the 1911 corset, but after two days of looking I have not found the floss I purchased. I bought it, brought it home, where did I put it? I'm sure once I buy more floss the original bundle will magically appear. In place of flossing I'll share a corset I made a 1905 patent diagram and also wrote about for Foundations Revealed.



Emile Savoye's design has always intrigued me and I learned so much by making a corset using the information found in his patent. Unfortunately, not all corsets turn out perfectly. Sad but true. This one is still pretty good though.



Pros - Decent fit, very interesting pattern, clean construction, pleasing color scheme, the desired silhouette was achieved, learned new ideas about boning and patterning, and I enjoyed learning about the man who designed the corset.



Cons - Wonder Under. You try new techniques, some you like and will use again and some leave you cold. Fusing silk dupioni to cotton with Wonder Under is one of those that left me cold. The resulting fabric had no give and the bias drape is vital for this corset since there are only three pieces per side. Maybe part of the problem was my choice to use dupioni to begin with, it's not a fabric known for it's figure hugging abilities. But the fusible certainly didn't help.

The article is now available for free on the Foundations Revealed site so if you'd like to learn more about this corset pop over and enjoy a read!

A quick word to those working on the sew along corsets, just keep sewing. If that corset is close to being done you're almost there. Slide those bones in, sew that binding on, attach those garters, add some flossing, what ever those last tasks are let's tackle them this weekend. The pictures of finished corsets are coming in on the flickr page and they look wonderful. I am so impressed with all the skilled work! I look forward to adding mine to the bunch!

12 comments:

  1. The Borrowers must have got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That corset is simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to try that pattern for a while Loooove it! I may just have to break down and test my skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE! I might just have to attempt that one next (after I finish the ten underbusts in various states of not done on my cutting table).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a pattern worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really liking the edwardian style that covers & smooths the hips. I printed out the 1905 and the 1907 Savoye patents today. Let's see where this goes. This sew along has inspired me to try some new shapes. So much of what is out there is the standard victorian style, and since I hadn't worked with anything else, I didn't stray far from it. I've been designing bespoke wedding dresses of all shapes and sizes for years, and it somehow didn't occur to me that corsetry could vary in lines, styles and shapes like anything else. There is so much fear around corsetry; doing it "right," that there is only one particular secret way to do things, fear around perceived body modification, all the mysteries of a craft that is no longer mainstream and a part of everyday existence. I am very ready to try some new things. Thanks for the inspiration, and for making something so daunting so much more accessible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am jealous of your pattern making skills

    ReplyDelete
  8. The patent is fantastic, and your corset is amazing! What a shame it doesn't fit well. It's gorgeous--I hope you've displayed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I am also a member of foundations revealed and it's nice to have found your personal blog! However, something little has been bothering me forever now. Emile, it's a female name so I checked the patents on google that we're used to make the pattern and sure enough Emile is referred to with a feminine pronoun and the two others who witnessed the documents with her are also female names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Thank you for this correction! I'll have to contact Foundations Revealed and ask them to add this correction. Dang it, this is what not speaking romance languages will get you.

      Delete
  10. I'm going to suppose there is not an actual pattern anyone has drafted?

    ReplyDelete