March 6, 2012

a completely different 1911 corset


I've been called from my desk/sewing machine and will be out of town for the next week or two. I won't be able to post any images of the 1911 corset until I return. I will have sporadic corset related posts though, starting with this patent of a completely different 1911 corset.


The back adjustment system is something I plan on trying. It will be a few corsets down the road, but there is a Corset and Crinolines pattern I have in mind for testing it out. I will not be bathing in the corset though.

For those working on sew along corsets, keep sewing, keep posting images on the flickr page. Even though I won't be adding updates about my corset for a bit I'll still a click or two away to answer any questions that come up as you are constructing your corsets.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure by bathing they mean swimming (and by swimming they mean wading into the water because I'm sure actual swimming would be difficult).

    I can imagine though that being able to get this off quickly when wet would be nicer than trying to undo wet lacing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this corset was designed to be worn under a swim suit, with stockings, like this.

    http://uchicagoadmissions.tumblr.com/post/8772577772/1910-students-swimming-in-lake-michigan

    Good point about the wet laces, this would have been a better system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that it's adjustable, and the open design on the back. Would swimming corsets have had whalebone and not steel (which would eventually rust?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it could have been whalebone for a bathing costume, the moisture would have absorbed in the whalebone and made it go soft again not giving any support to the wearer...

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure that would have been a bad thing for swimming. If not whalebone, then what? Maybe not bones but cording?

      Jo, I think we have a mystery for you.

      Delete
    3. The patent copy mentions casings with "stays or steels." Rust proof steels were certainly around by then and I imagine they would have been used.

      Delete