March 15, 2012

the new corset, short above the waist


This dress is described as an "odd gown" in a March 16, 1912
article about what the best dressed women are going to wear.


I don't think it looks any more or less odd than any of the other dresses pictured in the the Ogden, Utah Evening Standard. It definitely would be odd if worn with a turn-of-the-century S bend corset instead of "the new corset, short above the waist, and with it's accompanying brassier." I think any of the Henderson's corsets shown in this ad found in the North Platte Semi-Weekly Tribune ad qualify as "the new corset."


I've been looking for an ad with a corset cut just like Norah Waugh's 1911 patter and haven't found one. The second one in the top row comes close, but without gores. The corset on the top right looks like the post Edwardian pattern used for the sew along. Are there still stragglers out there finishing up sew along corsets? I'll be posting photos of my 1911 corset next week, if you aren't quite done you've got the weekend to finish those last details. Just keep sewing. Don't forget to share your images on the flickr page. It is so exciting seeing the finished pieces! They are looking great, you are so talented!

2 comments:

  1. I think I need another corset, but I would like one that is shorter (just beyond the high hip to cinch in the waist), and I would like cups... and maybe straps. I wonder why none of the corset examples had cups? Was is simply too scandalous or just difficult to draft?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cups just weren't of the time. We're all about lifting and separating and that wasn't needed to get the popular silhouette. There were some pretty talented dressmakers back then, I think if cups were desired they would have been drafted.

    ReplyDelete