April 27, 2010

darning


In the last post I mentioned I'd been working on other projects. Here's one of them.


A scarily close up shot of the first darning I've ever done. I had a request to repair some holes in a sweater and was told I could fix them however I liked. It doesn't look too bad, and I think it will look even better after it's worn and the ends of the thread fray a bit instead of being so blunt. There is another cross patching a hole on the back of the sweater. I wish I could claim the red cross idea as my own, I can't. I saw something similar a couple years ago, I believe in Selvedge Magazine, possibly the Scandinavian issue. In case anyone is curious, the sweater is wool, made in Greece, and I used DMC cotton perle number 5 thread.


I chose to work from the front because I wanted the work to show, but I can see how if one was skilled the stitches could disappear. Give me time.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love this! In fact, I have seen a sweater with similar smaller designs scattered all over. Would you share instructions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rita! Hmm, instructions, I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting way to darn...I like the idea of intentionally making it stand out.

    ReplyDelete