Was silk brocade the wisest choice? It's very slippery. I've got to work with it sooner or later and I'm thinking maybe it should have been later. I decided to fuse it to the batiste so it would stabilize everything while I cut. Also I thought it might reduce fraying. You can see the black cotton on the underside of one of the pieces here.
Here is the finished pattern.
During all the tests I did with various fusing methods nothing really held the cotton to the brocade well. Steam/no steam, longer time under the iron, High heat settings, more pressure, Wonder Under, basting spray, pre-adhesived fusing, everything peeled away from the silk/rayon blend relatively easily. The black cotton fusible seemed the easiest to work with so that's what I went went. I'll cut the elastic tonight, even though I'm second guessing that fabric too, then it will be time to start sewing.