December 27, 2009

fuchsia ribbon corset on a body


I'm always saying the most recent corset I finish is my favorite, but it's only because it's true.


Maybe it's because I can see what I've learned, or because my skills are improving, or because I feel the fit is better each time. But really, this is my new favorite. Normally I rip into whatever I've just made with criticisms, but I'm pretty happy with this one. It's as close to perfect as I've hit yet. I'll admit, I was worried about putting it on. The ribbons were so light and floppy I was concerned they'd be loose and uneven when it was on. But nope. It fit just like it was supposed to. And I love the gold flossing. It's just the right amount of color. OK, I'll quit crowing and get on to a view of the back.


I wasn't aware I'd laced slightly unevenly until I saw the pictures. No matter. When compared to the first version of the 1904 pattern the differences are clear. Steel along the grommets instead of plastic kept the center back edges straighter, and 10 grommets to a side instead of 8 looks nicer, as does the thinner ribbon. Steel boning at the sides instead of plastic makes a small difference in the curve at the waist. That may change if I wear this more and the steels become more broken into my shape. We'll see. I would not lace this corset any tighter though. It felt about right here, and aside from additional stress on the petersham ribbon, I think lacing tighter would start to look weird and too pinched at the waist. Already the ribbon takes the shape of my body way more than a corset of heavier fabric and more boning. Look how it curves around my ribs and over my belly in the top picture. That's probably exactly why it was something more comfortable to wear at night.

This small project for the road turned into a almost two month diversion from the main project. I promise the 1904 pattern will be the only one I make twice. Now back to the 1925 corselet!

10 comments:

  1. But what a diversion! No complaints here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, it's beautiful and the fit is great. And the colour, great. If I had the time I'd do one for myself =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely thing and the flossing is a beautiful little accent. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A thing of beauty! And I'm green with envy at that tiny waist. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of curiosity, what size busk did you use? Seven inch?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello musicmuse! The busk is 7 3/4 inches, and the center front is 8 1/4 inches long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. I love interesting corsets. :)

    ReplyDelete